Saturday 4 July 2015

Chapter #3

...starts in Briancon.
I spent a couple of days in this lovely city
last year
and was excited to be coming back.
It's high up in the mountains,
gets super hot during the day,
but cools down at night.

We are camping in a lovely ground,
called "5 Vallees".
As it is not yet the high season,
there are not many other campers,
though I am surprised
 at how many motorcylists
 pull in each night.

It is lovely to camp under the trees,
for shade in the afternoon when it really does get
very hot.
And in the morning
the camp shop supplies freshly baked 
baguette and croissants.
I make coffee,
and sit in the early morning sunshine
indulging in a leisurely breakfast.
Something quite new to me :)

The old historic part of the city
is an absolute treasure.
I spent an afternoon exploring
every nook and cranny.
I have to stop myself sometimes
from taking way too many photos.
There are so many images that I want to capture.


...the colours
 of the houses and shutters
fascinates me...



...the highlight of my time in Briancon
was without doubt
my walk up into the hills
to Lac L'orceyrette.
Simply stunning...
took my breath away.



...wildflowers in abundance...



...little villages along the way...


...and hillsides just so incredibly beautiful...


We managed to get the bike sorted
in Briancon
and it was on the road again
to the next race.
Over the mountains,
through some of the most spectacular scenery
I've ever seen,
though I have a feeling
I will be saying that over and over again
on this journey:)


...destination Colmars,
for Jake's next race up in the mountains
of Val d'Allos, 
just a few miles up the road.

We camped in another absolutely
delightful camping ground
by the river...


...and the next day I spent quite a few hours
exploring the tiny village of Colmars,
the heart of which
is a walled olde city...
pure bliss to wander around
and quite mind boggling when you realise
that parts of the city
date back to the 16th century!!


...especially when quite by accident
I happened to find
a wonderful little haberdashery:)


 In the afternoon I climbed up into the hills
behind the village
and was treated to more
spectacular views...


The following day was race day...
a tough day considering the circumstances
but he slogged it out and completed it,
however not one of his better results.
The ups and downs of the sport
and on the ''off'' days
we look for positives:)

Next stop would be Sanremo...
See you there :)
Jenny

3 comments:

  1. Amazing photos Jenny, thank uou or taking us on your journey. Keep cool, while we are trying to keep warm and dry down under in Kiwi Kand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Jenny, I want to go back to France again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, you must feel as if you are in a dream. Hope Your son does well with his cycling. Shirley

    ReplyDelete