Wednesday 15 July 2015

Chapter #4

Sanremo - what a town!
We pulled in quite late in the day -
the roads over the mountain passes are 
super skinny and winding,
and take much longer that you expect to drive.
But they are so much more scenic than the main routes,
and in a sense it doesn't matter too much
what time you arrive
at your destination
as long as it's not pitch dark
'cos I don't fancy putting the tent up in darkness:)

Waking up beside the Mediterranean is quite something -
the sea literally sparkled in the morning sunlight.


Sanremo is only a little way over the
Italian border.
After coming from the quieter villages
that we had been staying in France,
it was a bit of a culture shock -
super hustly and bustly.
And HOT!!

I was starting to get the impression by about now
that maybe Europe was in the grips of
a bit of a heat wave.
At times it was stifling.
It didn't seem to bother the locals
all that much,
but then they don't come from the deep south
of New Zealand where we think 25 is hot :)

The purpose of Sanremo was primarily for Jake 
to do some riding.
However I was more than happy to amuse myself
exploring the olde historic part of the town
while he was off riding.
It was fascinating -
the little winding lanes
and the colours of the houses
were like something out of a storybook.




...and the most amazing thing...
I found a teeny tiny button and trim shop.
I could not believe my eyes.
Almost the whole of one side of the shop
was filled with boxes of buttons...


...and the other side was 
boxes and boxes and boxes
of trims...


...the most amazing thing was that all these
boxes of trims were identified only by a number...
how on earth did the owner know where to start
looking?
But I bet he knew every single box
and it's contents :)
It was like stepping into
Aladdin's cave ... 
I so wanted to stay for the day
and look inside every single box!

 So after a few days we said our goodbyes
to Sanremo
and headed south for the next race
which was in Millau.

We had passed through Millau a couple of weeks earlier
on our way north 
and we had worked out where we would camp.
It was a long days driving but we felt happy
that we knew exactly where we were going,
so it didn't matter if we got there a bit late.
Slight hiccup :)
We hadn't counted on there being a huge
Natural Games festival on!
Ooops - no room at the inn!!
But we did eventually find another camp ground
and again it was right beside a fabulous big river
that was perfect for swimming,
and trust me,
it was well used:)

Again I managed to find myself wandering round
the olde part of the town centre,
snapping off a gazillion photos :)


...I love the shutters, and flowers
in tubs and windowboxes,
everywhere we go...




Okay so race day was interesting...
the day before temperatures soared and practice day
was really hard work!!!
Race day saw temperatures go even higher!
By midday I have given up on my forays,
and headed back to camp where I knew there was shade.
On my way back I got a little lost
and ended up in the middle of wheat fields.
They were of course a delight to photograph...


...but oh my goodness,
it got very very very hot.
By the time I did get back to camp,
my thoughts were with Jake -
how on earth was he coping in the heat.
Sadly he did not manage to complete the race,
but not because of the heat,
mechanical issues instead!!
I really have no idea how those riders did it,
and was not surprised to learn that a huge number
pulled out.

From Millau we returned to Briancon
for a restock.
It's sort of become our home base,
as it's very central to many of the places we are going,
The camp there is lovely,
and they do do very very good
fresh baguette for breakfast.

...some lavender fields along the way...


Next stop - Solden - Austria.
See you there
Jenny :)

1 comment:

  1. Ah those blue shutters! :)
    Nothing quite like walking on the shores of the Med!

    ReplyDelete