Wednesday 4 November 2015

Chapter #19

So...
this is the second last chapter,
and it's a long one,
so maybe go get a cuppa:)

We were heading for Spain...
Ainsa to be precise.
Only 50 or so miles from the French border,
but incredibly so
completely different scenery.


Sunset on the first day set the scene -
this was a world series race
for Jake
so I was in full
support crew mode :)

Of course I can always find a few hours
here and there to explore...


...and the olde town did not disappoint.
As if it ever would :)


...now that is some door -
isn't that incredible :)


This is the view
out over the valley where we were camping.
Off in the distance,
did a little bit of walking around
that great big hill,
but I have to confess,
mostly around the bottom of it!!

Early start to the first day of practice,
but with views like these,
it didn't both me in the least...


...and throughout the next two days,
as I shuttled Jake around the stages for practice
I was in awe of the scenery...




...again,
touches of autumn creeping in...


We both arrived in Ainsa with absolutely
no idea
of what to expect...
and I have to say that this place left me
with the most amazing memories,
in all regards.
The countryside was breathtaking,
the olde historic village was beautiful,
and the organisation of the event was
absolutely far and away the best
of all the races we attended...
it was fun and lively,
great atmosphere,
and at the end of day one of racing
they even managed to produce the most spectacular
downpour of rain that I have ever seen
 in all my life:)
Thankfully Jake had finished for the day 
and we were actually back at camp when 
the heavens opened and it down it came...
phenomenal...
within two minutes, maybe,
the driveways were flowing with water,
like mini creeks.
Turned out that the last stage
of the race had to be cancelled as some of the riders
were unable to finish it
due to the fact that the tracks became rivers
with water flowing up to two feet deep!!
The storm didn't last long,
but crikey it came down!

Our stay in Ainsa was too short,
this is definitely a place on my list of 
"going back to" :)

From there we had to make tracks quickly
as the following weekend was the final race,
another important world series one,
and it was in Italy!!
Two long days of driving,
stopping off at Loupian for the night.

Yes,
of course I managed to squeeze in a quick
walk around the wee village...


...is this not the most gorgeous
gates of entry to a village?
 

...it was getting late,
but it did look so lovely with the lamps lit.

On the road early next morning,
to get a good start,
and even so we pulled into Finale Ligure
just on dark,
with no reservations,
and no vacancies!!
Ooops!
Finally found something for the night,
but the following morning
we looked a little further afield
and found our villa on the Italian coast.
Just delightful,
in the next township of Varigotti.
I love Varigotti:)


...the view from our balcony,
one which I could definitely get used to :)


...late in the afternoon,
nobody left on the beach,
had it all to myself.


..wandering through the lanes of the village,
and in fact the photos do not quite do
justice to the colours...


...the houses were vibrant sunny colours,
matching the day :)

Again Jake had practice days 
before the race days,
so no time to explore on those days,
but come race day,
he was away for hours on end,
so it was my turn to wander as well :)

The little village of Finalborgo
was my first port of call...


...wasn't hard to fill in a few hours here:)



...thought this looked like the perfect little
spot to enjoy a coffee...


...a walk up the hill behind the village took me through
orchards of fruits I had never seen,
and olive groves by the dozen...


...absolutely could not resist this
gorgeous fabulous green door:)


The next day I headed up into the hills behind
our villa.
So beautiful...
this is looking down on the village
of Varigotti...


...and looking the other direction
toward Finale Ligure...


...a tiny little village perched on the top
of a hill...



...peeking through the trees I spied
this chair,
thought it just looked like
the most perfect place to sit
and ponder :)


We had the most glorious time in Italy,
even the storms were impressive...


Jake's final race was massive,
again one stage got cancelled due to high winds
and rain,
but both bike and body made it to the end
in one piece so that's always a good thing:)

We stayed on for a couple of days in Varigotti,
not really wanting to leave,
but sadly we could not put the inevitable off.
Another beautiful gem to be stored in the 
memory box.
Loved every moment of our week on the Italian coast,
but it was time to head back to France...


...a parting sunset from Varigotti...

See you back in France
for the final part of the most 
wonderful journey :)
Jenny xx

p.s. I would just like to say thank you to those
that left such lovely comments on my last post...
you are so very very kind...
thank you for coming along and sharing
this adventure with me.
Um...I am a little lost for words,
cos of your kindness :)
I hope that one day you find yourself
in some of these wonderful amazing places
that I have been lucky enough to see.
You will love them too:)
Thankyou xxx


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, just fantastic photos Jenny. What amazing memories you and Jake have. Thank you for taking me on this journey with you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Jenny. Gosh though I am totally exhausted doing all this travel!!! Certainly not complaining though. I keep looking at my pay each fortnight thinking I need more if I want to experience all Jenny has.lol

    ReplyDelete