Sunday 1 November 2015

Chapter #18

Well, I never quite got to 
finish this diary of my adventure
 while I was away.
The last few weeks flew by so fast 
and before I knew it,
we were home again.

But for the sake of completion,
I will finish the last
couple of chapters...

The last time I posted,
we were heading for Andorra.
Stayed in the same place as we did
at the beginning of the trip,
but this time
no accidents, broken bikes or body parts
... always a bonus :)


The racing was good,
weather was amazing,
and the mountain hiking incredible.
Andorra is a must see if you are ever
in that part of the world,
especially if you love the mountains.
It is a hikers paradise :)


It never fails to impress
with sheer majestic beauty.


I'm sure it wouldn't matter how many times
you visited,
you would never run out of
mountains to climb.

I must admit, though, to feeling a smidgen nervous
on one of my walks...
half way up the mountain a guy dressed in
hunter's camo gear emerged from behind a bush
and asked me if I could please proceed quietly,
because they were hunting!!!
Um...
well yes...
I promised I would be as quiet as possible,
but what the heck!!!


The seasons were changing,
of course,
as it was almost three months since our
first visit.
Mushrooms and toadstools
of every colour and shape...


...wildflowers,
still,
in abundance,
but different ones to the first visit...


...and the trees were taking on their 
autumn tones...


I squeezed in as many walks
as possible...


...it's not hard to see why,
with views like these :)


We stayed a couple of extra days in Andorra
after the race was over,
and then headed west.
The next race was just across the border
in Spain,
but we had a few days in between,
and not quite knowing where to pitch camp
for those few days,
we almost randomly picked
a little town called 
Luchon.

What a find!
The most stunning scenery,
mountains and forests!


This walk took me high up into the mountains,
to a small lake at the top.
The waterfalls along the way
were out of this world :)



...I adore these exquisite little flowers,
which seem to be so delicate
you wonder how they survive even
a ripple of wind...


The town of Luchon is nestled in
this valley,
surrounded by mountains
and I can only imagine how
beautiful it must look in winter...


Another walk took me around the hills
and up into the back country..


...it was a magnificent walk,
but I do have to giggle a little
over the signage.
It indicated a time of three and a half hours
to complete the circuit,
and in the normal course of events,
this would be a generous amount of time.
So I set off with very little in the way of supplies,
thinking it would be an easy morning walk,
and I had another one planned for the afternoon.
Three and a half hours into the walk I was pretty sure
that I was,
in fact,
still heading away from the beginning of the track!!


I did eventually get back to the starting point
some six hours after beginning!
Do feel that perhaps they may have got that one
just a little bit wrong :)
It didn't really bother me that much
as I'm pretty happy to wander for hours over the hills
but at one point I did wonder
quite how far I had gone,
and quite how far I had to get back
to the car :)


Here's my favourite wee flowers again...


The village of Luchon was a delight,
and I was glad of a whole day to wander and explore...


...this is quite possibly the biggest house
I've ever seen!!


...gorgeous little winding streets...


...and again, touches of autumn
turning leaves to gold...


Luchon was lovely
in every sense.
I hope one day to return to 
walk some more of the dozens of tracks
that wound around the mountains.

From here it was a short trip over the mountains
to Spain.
See you there..
Jenny xx


4 comments:

  1. Jenny I do hope that at some time you take your diary and even your stitched diary also to a publisher. Your a sojourner, the stories and pictures need to be shared with many - you have a fabulous way with words that I find many would love to read not to mention pawing over the stunning sites you share also. Go on - do it xx
    hugs
    Miche`le

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Miche'le. The photos and stories have been amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taken us in with each entry into your journal Jenny as I have said, Thank you again for sharing each special moment, each amazing view, each spectacular flower, mushroom, window shutter, I have loved them all. I am in awe of your ability to highlight it all. As Michel'e said get it all published, its such an amazing thing for you to have and to pass on . Something to share with future generations and to highlight the joys of travelling to such amazing places. Thanks again for the lovely memories Jenny. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed all your entries and the wonderful photos. The beautiful buildings, streets or alleys, the window shutters(which I really love) the flowers. Now we would love to see your beautiful stitching that we get peeks of. Have a good week

    ReplyDelete