Friday 4 September 2015

Chapter #11

Leaving Luxembourg we headed north,
passing briefly though Belgium
ending up in the lovely village
of Valkenburg.
Sadly we only had the one night here,
but much can be seen in one evening
if you put your mind to it...
and your walking shoes on :)



So we had a wee wander round
 the town centre first,
then I managed to find a track
up the hill behind the camp
which took me straight
into the countryside :)



...very pretty :)

So...the whole reason for our trip
to the Netherlands 
was so that I could visit
a very special long time blogging friend.
When Jake's injury changed our plans,
I could see that we would have 
quite a bit of extra touring time
on our hands and
this was one of the truly good things
that resulted from his misfortune...

Normally I'm just a bit camera shy...
but I have to share
one of the happiest moments
of the trip.
The day I met Simone,
and we had coffee and cake,
and talked and talked and talked 
for an all too short morning.
How amazing after many many years
of communication via blogging and facebook,
to finally meet in person.
Thank you my wonderful friend
for sharing your morning with me...



Anything else that day was a bit of an 
anti climax to be honest :)

But moving on...
 we headed into Germany and 
Limburg was our first stop.
Again just a one nighter,
and a bit late pulling in
so hauled myself out of bed
just a little earlier than normal
to have a quick whizz around the town
before leaving.
Actually it wasn't hard getting up early,
mainly due to the fact that I was AWAKE
most of the night!!!
Our campground was directly beneath 
a very large,very busy bridge.
Traffic went across that bridge
every minute...
of every hour...
right through the night,
and as they hit the end of the bridge
there was something metal that
made a particularly loud bang
with each car
or truck 
or van!!!!!
An early morning stroll around the town centre
was definitely needed to restore sanity...




Next day and next stop was Wurzburg...


...a fabulous city to explore on foot...


...university buildings...


...the palace...


...wonderful place and the grounds were
so beautiful...


...it was a hot hot day so 
walking under these arches of shade
was pure bliss.

Our next stop in Germany
was the city of Ingolstadt.
We stayed in a wonderful camp ground here
that was part of a natural scenic reserve,
and it had a small but perfectly beautiful pond
on it's doorstep...



...sunset over the pond on arrival :)


...a wee snippet of the botanic gardens
which were stunning but suffering
quite badly from heat exhaustion
as were we!!
To be honest,
it was such a ridiculously hot day that day...
our wanderings were shorter
than normal.
The heat was intense and if I remember correctly
I think by about the middle of the arvo
I admitted defeat!!

Final stop in Germany was Regensburg.
Put this one on your agenda
if visiting this part of Germany...
another fabulous olde city to explore!





There endeth the "Germany" leg of our adventure
(for the moment anyhow).
From here we decided to spend a few days
in Austria...
so I'll see you down by the lake
in the beautiful village of Strobl :)
Jenny
xx

P.S.  I have been meaning to thank
everyone who has left lovely comments...
thank you :)
I have a confession...
have forgotten my password to Google
(forgetting passwords is something I excel at!)
and for reasons known only to Google
I can't retrieve it
so it wont let me reply to those
lovely comments.
I do read them
and do very much appreciate them :)


3 comments:

  1. *sigh* when seeing the picture of the two of us again! Wished you were here!
    Limburg didn't want you to sleep that night, so that you could the lovely picture early in the morning with the water so calm.
    Würzburg, Ingolstadt, Regensburg. I think you have to come from New Zealand to actually visit those cities. I think that I should soon make the trip you made through Germany, living so nearby!
    Go google-password help. Luckily you can still write your blogposts, so we can enjoy your adventures (o:
    Happy adventurous weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny this is the third time I have read your blog through from the beginning again. I am so envious and in awe of you and what you have achieved during your summer. The memories you have made for your lifetime are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing those with us and for giving us the chance to reflect on our own lives and think seriously about what we want to achieve for ourselves. Thank you, thank you.
    Huge love Debx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, it is great to read of your wonderful adventure and hope the weather continues to be awesome and warm. It is changing here now and warming up a tad. Such beautiful buildings and countryside you are experiencing. Hope your sons injuries have healed. Such a treat to meet your blogging friend, quite understand the wonderful talking you both would have had. It would have been like being with your sister.My son and his wife and their son liked Germany very much where they visited. Keep safe and look forward to your next instalment. Shirley

    ReplyDelete