Saturday 12 September 2015

Chapter #13

Trier...
what a fabulous city
to stage a rally.


I cannot believe quite how much
I enjoyed my weekend of motorsport
though obviously it probably makes 
a difference
when you are cheering on family:)

The sun shone brilliantly
all weekend,
the mood was buzzing
and for three days
we zoomed round the countryside
catching as many of the stages
as we could.

We were treated to guest passes
into the Hyundai pits
and although I know
next to nothing about cars
just watching the set-up 
and the crews
and feeling the excitement
was a very "cool"
experience:)


We got to see some very very beautiful 
countryside as well...



 ...and this is what I take pictures of
in between stages...
well,
 it just looked so cute :)


Of course there was plenty of time
after the days events
to still explore the city...


...the most fabulous (and huge) cathedral...



...absolutely beautiful stained glass windows...





...however majestic the cathedral was,
though,
it was the Basilica
that took my breath away.
On the outside a huge fairly plain building
I suppose,
although I thought it was magnificent
in it's simplicity...


 ...but once inside,
the sheer serenity
and simple design
was perfect
in every sense...



...definitely a memory I will
never forget.

Then just behind the Basilica
was the palace,
in all it's gorgeous pink glory...



 A little further wandering
through the city...



...one of my favourite things to do,
take pictures of cute houses :)



 ...I mean,
how could you resist the little
pink one,
or maybe the bright 
sunshiney yellow one :)



...then there are the slightly
"grander" ones...


...but I think the cute ones win out
at the end of the day :)



Trier is a city I would most definitely
put on your list of places to visit
if you are in the neighbourhood.
Loved it,
and it's surroundings.

After Trier we headed south
to the city of Freiburg...



An interesting phenomenon happened
along the way...
corners were taken faster,
and straight pieces of road
were seen as the perfect opportunity
to put the foot down.
Gear changes seemed to occur
with increasing regularity
regardless of whether or not
they were in fact needed:)
Am fairly sure that a certain person
inhaled way too many rally car fumes!
By the end of the day,
though,
it seemed that
rally fever had subsided
and "normal" services resumed :)
Had to laugh...
it was always going to happen:)

We just had a day to explore Freiburg,
so headed for the olde city first thing,
and were lucky enough to find
the most incredible market in the
city square.
Fruits and vegetables piled high,
the fruits of the season...



...flowers in every colour
of the rainbow...




...even a stall
selling nothing but marbles...



The cathedral was again,
huge and quite amazing,
though in all honesty not quite
my thing...
quite gothic...


...the little streets held more appeal...


I was totally amazed as in the whole time
that I have been away I think I may
have found maybe two or three
haberdashery shops in total.
Well...
I found no less than four
in Freiburg
and there may well have been more!
This was a gorgeous wee one...


...and although I didn't 
actually buy anything in here
 I did accidentally buy a couple
of very beautiful pieces of fabric
in another wee shop:)
Some of the shop fronts were just so cute,
I mean,
look at this...


And no visit to any city would be complete
without finding a forest
to wander through...




...and it didn't disappoint :)

Thoroughly enjoyed our "second" visit
to Germany:)
Got the map out on our last night there
and tracked our route to Switzerland...
see you on the shores of 
Lake Lucerne:)
Jenny
xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny, what amazing photos, beautiful buildings, countryside and flowers. John and
    I have never really followed motor sport, but, have to say things have changed !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I do love all the houses in narrow streets and little boutique shops appearing. The cathedrals must be amazing, architecture like we don't see here. A wonderful market and finally whats with all the marbles. Safe journeys Jenny and sorry to read that your son's arm/ wrist has not improved yet.Shirley

    ReplyDelete